DIY Thursdays: Simple Dessert Recipes to Add a Special Touch to your Memorial Day BBQ
Memorial Day Weekend is a few days away.
Add these simple, inexpensive desserts to your menu this holiday to keep your family and friends talking.
This cakes takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes to prepare and serves 16 people.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 box of Betty Crocker SuperMoist white cake mix
- water, egg whites, and vegetable oil as specified on the cake mix box
- 1 package (0.13-oz) cherry-flavored or other red-colored unsweetened soft drink mix
- 1 container of Betty Crocker Whipped fluffy white frosting
- Green and red food colors
- 2/3 cup of green jelly beans
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease or spray two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans.
3. In a small bowl, toss 1/2 cup of chocolate chips with one teaspoon of the cake mix.
4. In a large bowl, beat remaining cake mix, the water, egg whites, and drink mix with the electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Then pour into a pan.
5. In a small bow, stir one cup of the frosting with 10 to 12 drops of green food color.
6. Stir 10 to 12 drops of red food color into the remaining frosting.
7. Frost sides of cake with green frosting and press green jelly beans into the frosting.
8. Frost the top of the cake with the red frosting and press remaining 2 tabelspoons of chocholate chips into the frosting for seeds.
Red, White, & Blue Berry Parfaits
Here is a light and healthy dessert that both adults and children will enjoy.
- 2 cups of strawberries or raspberries
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
1. In a medium bowl, beat cream.
2. Add sugar, vanilla beans, and a pinch of salt. Beat until stiff peak forms.
3. In a short mason jar, layer 1/2 cup of strawberries, 1/2 cup of vanilla whipped cream, and a 1/2 cup of blueberries.
4. Repeat in each jar.
Red, White, & Blue Firecracker Ice Pops
This dessert can definitely keep you cool during your holiday get together.
- 1 and 1/2 cups of strawberries, hulled, and quartered
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups of blueberries
- 1 and 1/4 cups of low-fat plain yogurt
1. Use a food processor to puree strawberries and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
2. Pour mixed puree into a small bowl.
3. Use a food processor to puree strawberries and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
4. In a bowl, whisk together yogurt and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
5. Pour the three mixtures, alternating, into 3-ounce ice-pop molds, making between 3 to 5 layers in each.
6. With a skewer or thin cut blade knife, swirl mixtures together in an up-and-down motion.
7. Insert ice pop sticks and freeze until solid. This should take about 2.5 to 3 hours.
Enjoying a relaxing Memorial Day BBQ with your family and friends shouldn’t be expensive. Try out one or all of these three desserts to add a little more red, white, and blue to your holiday.