Apple iPhone 4S: Is it Worth the Money?
Apple’s latest iPhone 4S was released October 2, a day before the passing of Apple co-founder and creator of the iconic iPhone, Steve Jobs. With the latest iPhone out, many people are debating if they should upgrade or just wait until the iPhone 5 is released. A lot of frugal techies may be wondering if the new iPhone 4S device really offers enough new features worth shelling out $300+. Honestly, for a few mild upgrades, why waste the money?
In an effort to help you compare and contrast the value versus the costs, I have compiled a list of the new iPhone 4S features, so you can determine if the value is truly worth the cost.
IPhone 4S Features:
- 3.5in Retina display (which is a high-end screen with four times as many pixels in the same screen real estate) with high quality 640×960 resolution and 326ppi – Same as iPhone 4.
- 4S is powered by the same A5 dual-core chip found in the iPad 2, an upgrade from the A4 single-core processor found in the current iPhone 4.
- 4S delivers up to twice the power and seven times faster graphics performance than iPhone 4.
- 4S has a 8-megapixel camera where as the iPhone 4 has a 5-megapixel camera. It also has a bigger lens, which allows users to refine images, showcase photos with different graphics and manage massive photo libraries. The illumination sensor has been improved and there’s additional face detection which determines the location and size of human faces in a digital image and therefore focuses more on those faces and less on everything else in the picture (i.e. building, trees, and miscellaneous objects).
- Video footage is shot in 1080p opposed to the iPhone 4 which only shoots in 720p.
- 4S offers more memory storage — up to 16GB, 32GB and 64GB of internal storage, which is twice as much memory as the iPhone 4 can hold.
- 4S can automatically switch between two antennas offering better call quality. Problems arose with the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 because of the way users held their Smartphone, preventing proper reception.
- 4S offers HSPA connectivity, which means improved 3G speeds of 14.4Mbit/s compared to 7.2Mbit/s.
- 4S comes with a completely new operating system entitled iOS 5. This system features an improved lock screen, a notification center, enhanced Twitter integration, a new message system called the iMessage (made to compete with Blackberry’s Messager or BBM) as well as iCloud service. It should be noted that iPhone 4 and 3G owners can receive this new operating system without purchasing the new 4S but the system will run better on the 4S.
- Siri voice control system = personal iPhone secretary that can call, text, schedule a meeting, set an alarm, or provide weather inquiries via voice command. Many experts have said that this version of voice command will be a huge upgrade from the iPhone 4.
Various tech experts claim they are waiting until summer 2012 for the iPhone 5 – which is the expected date range for the next iPhone product. Some experts are concerned that the iPhone 5 won’t be as amazing since the genius Steve Jobs is deceased, but time will tell if the gang of engineers at Apple can come up with the next generation of iPhone that will be as incredible and innovative as Jobs creations.